What’s Available in our Museum?
Photos of artifacts, copies of histories and copies of photos can be made available. View index for each by clicking below:
Pioneer Museum HISTORY
Through the generous donation of Hortense McQuarrie Odlum, the McQuarrie Memorial Museum was built in 1938. We are known as the Pioneer Museum in St George. Hortense along with the Daughters of Utah Pioneers organization directed the Museum to be built to house the pioneer artifacts, photos and histories of those stalwart people who came to settle Washington County under the direction of Brigham Young beginning in mid-1850s.
The Museum is owned and operated by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP) Companies in Washington County, Utah. DUP members volunteer their time to manage and maintain the museum and serve as Docents for visitors from around the world. Donations contributing to the large collection within the walls of the Museum came and still come, from descendants of those pioneers who lived and worked in this harsh area.
A wonderful written history of the settlement of Washington County is “Under Dixie Sun”. It was written by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and copies are available at the Museum for $20.